Sure, here’s a delicious and nutritious multi-layered vegetable rice recipe for you:
Multi-Layered Vegetable Rice Recipe
For the Rice:
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked and drained
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
For the Vegetable Layers:
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup bell peppers (mixed colors), thinly sliced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
For Layering and Garnish:
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Fried onions (optional)
- Saffron strands soaked in warm milk (for color and aroma)
- Prepare the Rice:
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the soaked and drained rice along with some salt.
- Cook the rice until it’s about 70-80% cooked. It should still have a slight bite to it. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the Vegetable Layers:
- In a skillet, heat the oil or ghee over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for another minute.
- Add the julienned carrots, sliced bell peppers, peas, and corn. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Finally, add the chopped spinach or kale and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot or a deep oven-safe dish, start by spreading a layer of the partially cooked rice at the bottom.
- Follow with a layer of the prepared vegetable mixture.
- Continue alternating between rice and vegetable layers until both are used up. Ensure the top layer is rice.
- Finishing Touches:
- Drizzle the saffron-infused milk over the top layer of rice.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro or parsley on top.
- Optionally, sprinkle some fried onions for added flavor and crunch.
- You can cook the layered rice on the stovetop over low heat with a tightly closed lid. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the rice to finish cooking.
- Alternatively, you can bake the layered rice in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 20-25 minutes.
- Gently fluff the rice layers with a fork before serving to mix the flavors.
- Serve the multi-layered vegetable rice hot with yogurt, raita, or any side dish of your choice.
Enjoy your flavorful and colorful multi-layered vegetable rice!