Egg fried rice is a popular and delicious dish that originates from Chinese cuisine. It’s made by stir-frying cooked rice with eggs, vegetables, and typically some kind of protein (like chicken, shrimp, or tofu). Here’s a basic recipe for making egg fried rice:
- Cooked rice (preferably leftover and cooled)
- Eggs (2-4, depending on your preference)
- Mixed vegetables (such as peas, carrots, corn, and bell peppers), finely diced
- Protein of your choice (chicken, shrimp, tofu, etc.), cooked and diced (optional)
- Soy sauce or oyster sauce, to taste
- Sesame oil, for flavor
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Cooking oil (such as vegetable or canola oil)
- Prepare the Rice: If you don’t have leftover rice, cook rice according to package instructions and allow it to cool. Cold rice works better for fried rice as it doesn’t get too sticky.
- Beat the Eggs: In a bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir-Fry Eggs: Heat a pan or wok over medium heat. Add a small amount of oil and pour in the beaten eggs. Scramble the eggs until they are just cooked, then remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Stir-Fry Vegetables: In the same pan, add a bit more oil if needed. Add the diced vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are tender.
- Add Protein (Optional): If you’re using a protein like chicken, shrimp, or tofu, add it to the pan and stir-fry until heated through.
- Add Rice: Add the cooked rice to the pan. Use a spatula to break up any clumps and spread the rice evenly in the pan.
- Season: Drizzle soy sauce or oyster sauce over the rice and mix well. Adjust the amount based on your taste preferences. You can also add a touch of sesame oil for flavor.
- Combine Eggs: Add the scrambled eggs back to the pan with the rice and mix everything together. Make sure the eggs are evenly distributed throughout the rice.
- Final Seasoning: Taste the fried rice and add more soy sauce, salt, or pepper if needed.
- Garnish and Serve: Sprinkle chopped green onions over the fried rice for a fresh and aromatic touch. Once everything is heated through and well combined, your egg fried rice is ready to be served.
Egg fried rice is a versatile dish, so feel free to customize it with your favorite ingredients and flavors. Enjoy your homemade egg fried rice as a delicious and satisfying meal!